Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Saturday: Lago maggiore

On our last day, we went to Lago maggiore. It's like the Lake Geneva of Torino. It was incredibly beautiful and I got so many amazing pictures! It was a perfect day that God totally orchestrated because it was supposed to rain that day. The scenery was breathtaking and the conversations were incredible! I love my friends!

Many of our friends that we made in the beginner class are Sicilian and so they loved getting to talk about Sicily. They described to us all of these different gestures that have various meanings. It was too funny. I'm pretty sure when they told me to say something and they video taped me they made me speak profanities in Sicilian. Haha.

I was glad to get to hang out with Luigia, Lorena, Jenny, and Matilde each a little bit that day. Luigia even invited me to visit her home at L'aquila. I felt so honored by this invitation and I really really want to go!

After we got back from Lago Maggiore Luigia and Damiano invited us for aperativos. It's very common in Italy and its where you buy a drink and you're able to eat whatever you want. Of course I had to try things!

The problem that we faced was that we needed to leave room for the dinner invitation that we got from Jenny, Majid, and Lorena!

Went to dinner at the dorms that Majid and Jenny live in and it was incredible. Lorena and Jenny made us what would be considered a Sicilian Sunday lunch. Sunday lunch in Sicily is huge and is pretty much an all day eating affair. We had a pesto, tuna, penne pasta and a garlic, pepper, tomato pasta. They were both incredible. They also made a pastry type thing filled with meat, cheese, and spinach.

As if that wasn't enough food, Majid made us traditional Moroccan food! It was a curried chicken made in a particular oven type bowl with traditional Pakistani bread. It was so phenomenal!

We ended up having a really good conversation. Well I watched Candice and Rudy talk. Lorena does not trust the church because of all the divisions between the Catholic and Evangelical church. She said has never seen a church like Il Refugio. Majid also talked about the motivations that other churches have had, not to serve but to just convert.

It was really cool because when Lorena was walking us home, Candice said that the only thing that matters is Jesus. Lorena said she knew that but she still didn't trust the church.

I am so thankful for Candice because she was a huge help in the beginner class and especially for the conversations after classes during dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers