Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Trees

It has been over a week since I started my Facebook fast and I already see a huge difference in my reliance on the internet for entertainment. I am much more productive and assertive when it comes to homework and just in general less distracted. I think I might extend my Facebook fast until after Spring Break. That would be a full month!

I was re-reading my posts from the past year and a half and I realized that A) I will remember those things forever and B) This is just a good way to get the thoughts out of my head

It's funny how easily discouraged I am and how easily I can fall into old habits and feelings. I recently have been having a really hard time with trusting God with other people's lives. It freaks me out to be honest. I know trust God with my life but yesterday I had to put the people who I have been praying for back in God's hands. I have felt like I am not doing enough to help others find Christ, to help others experience ultimate joy and fulfillment in knowing Him. As I prayed about this, God continually told me, "Kristin, there is nothing you can do that will make people love me. I am pursuing them with all I have just like I pursued you. Trust me.". Man, it is so hard to trust God sometimes, especially with the people you love. I definitely needed a reminder.

On a lighter note, I have a bone to pick with ISU. There is this tree that is "supposedly" native to Illinois on campus. It is called a Ginko Tree.

I mean, let's be honest, those are some sweet looking leaves. The problem with this tree is that it smells super bad ALL THE TIME! The "berries" that drop off fall all the time and when they split open, they let off a putrid smell that has been described as puke mixed with dog poop. The geniuses that put this tree in the arboretum (where it does belong) put the tree one of the most traveled spots on the quad. I mean, they could have stuck it in the corner or put it right in the middle of the quad where no one goes but nope, they stuck it right where everyone would walk and step on the berries to release the awful smell that is contained.

I also just learned that only the female trees' berries give off a foul odor. Maybe they should have looked into that and gotten a male tree. Also, people eat those nasty berries, I guess they are a delicacy in Asian countries.

"I love ginkgo nuts. They have a nutty, ever-so-slightly bittersweet flavor and a punchy-soft texture reminiscent of jelly beans that is, in my experience, quite unmatched by other nuts. They're also beautiful to look at — tiny egg-shaped beads that are a pale yellow when raw and take on a translucent, golden-green glow when cooked"-Random Food Blog

Don't know how I feel about that...


Well, have a great day everyone.

1 comment:

  1. You were meant to be a writer. The way that your thoughts flow so well. Keeping the reader interested and wanting more. Just thought I would say that. I absolutely loved this post!

    Btw..... I have no idea what tree you are referring to. Now I'm interested :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers