Monday, February 14, 2011

A Breath of Fresh Air

That's how I feel about blogging. Why do I not do this more often?

I have decided to not use Facebook for 2 weeks. I started yesterday. I changed my password so that I would have to actually think about signing in instead of it being so automatic. Even in one day, I feel like I have gotten so much of my life back and I am realizing just how much time I spend on Facebook. Yesterday, I felt like every time I had a minute of down time, my brain was like "GO ON FACEBOOK!" It was ridiculous. For example, I am currently sitting in my Sociology class where I should be paying attention and I automatically went to the Facebook homepage when I signed on the internet. Didn't use it but I went on it. I also realized just how good of a tool that Facebook can be. I told two of my friends that I would post a link to an awesome opportunity to teach English around the world on their Facebook wall. I promised this before I decided to do my Facebook fast so I made KK post the links on their wall. I literally stay in contact with people I would never see again! If there was no Facebook, I could count on one hand the people that I would actually talk and keep tabs on. Crazy. I think Facebook will also be useful as I start to head out of the country for a little while so that people can easily keeps tabs on me and make sure that I am still alive haha.

As I sit here today on the lovely 40 degree day of February 14th, I am feeling a little different. Today is Valentine's Day. A Hallmark holiday in which the goal seems to be making sure that people in relationships have at least one day of the year they feel loved and those without are made to feel like they are missing out big time. My question is, who actually likes this holiday? I always felt iffy about it, even if I was in a relationship. Well, either way. I still don't know how I feel about it.

Today, as I walked to my 8am a little late because I woke up so late. I noticed things I really never notice. The melting snow was just SO beautiful to me. Normally I hate when the snow melts because it just looks dirty and gross but today was different. Seeing God's beauty in the melting of the snow has been incredible. I have noticed the pools water forming around the still partially green grass underneath the ever-shrinking snow. I have noticed the birds singing in the mornings announcing their arrival and the following of Spring. I have noticed the patterns of the snow and ice that are forming as the snow melts. I have noticed the way the wind causes the pools of water to ripple as it blows a warmer breeze than the past few weeks. Spring is coming, hopefully sooner than later.

I have also noticed, as I step back into blogging (hopefully for the long run), my desire to be profound, as if someone will actually read and remember me someday. I'll be quoted in one of those "Greatest Quotes" lists that people will read for centuries to come. But I have to do something significant in my life I suppose. That would prove difficult in this sea of significance that runs on popularity, social status, and being "different".

And now I'm going to just post this so I don't try and think of something profound to say...

1 comment:

  1. I like this post. I think the fact that you have such a drive to help others and not conform to the people around you is more significant than a lot of accomplishments that often fall under the umbrella of "significant." I will remember you, because you have been a tremendous blessing and a great friend. Keep blogging, growing and getting to know God.

    ReplyDelete

Followers